Dolphin-Fish (Mahi-Mahi) Fishing Charter
Not to be confused with mammalian dolphins, dolphin-fish are fish and the two bear no relation. We often call dolphin-fish mahi-mahi because mahi-mahi means strong-strong in Hawaiian, a perfect name for a fish known for their powerful fight once hooked.
- Found in abundance in the spring and into the summer months, season is April-August.
- Mahi-Mahi feed on a variety of prey – small fish, squid sargassum, crabs, and crustaceans.
- Mahi-Mahi are very strong and fast swimmers. They are usually between 15-30lbs.
- Male and females can be distinguished by the shape of their head.
- Mahi-Mahi range in colors from green, blue and yellow. Once out of the water they will display yellow to gold tones.
- Travel in schools.
Strategies used to catch Mahi-Mahi:
- Trolling at a speed of 4-7 knots
- Live baits
- Skirted baits
- Naked ballyhoo
The Mahi-Mahi provides one of the best offshore fishing adventures for anglers of all skill levels. Mahi-Mahi is plentiful on the coast of Venice, Louisiana and currently there are no bag limits. Come experience game fishing at its finest in Venice, Louisiana.
To book your Mahi-Mahi fishing charter in Venice, Louisiana please contact us today!